After installing vSphere 6.7 on my Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F, (to my surprise) the two 10Gb NICs were available and listed but showing as link down. The only problem: the physical connections were definitely up as I had just removed my ESXi 6.5 USB and installed 6.7 on a new USB key to test out.

It seems that VMware have decided to include the right driver (net-ixgbe), although an older version 3.7.14, but it’s not assigned to the device. Instead ixgben driver is assigned.

x557

x557

I went ahead and installed the latest available net-ixgbe 4.5.3 and restarted, however this didn’t help. NICs were still using VMware’s native drivers.

So the solution was to disable the native drivers and reboot. With that you get your NICs in fully working condition up/up.

x557

x557

x557


References:

Paul Braren’s TinkerTry

VMware Documentation